The Intel? HLS Compiler is a high-level synthesis (HLS) tool that takes in untimed C++ as input and generates production-quality register transfer level (RTL) code that is optimized for Intel FPGAs. This tool accelerates verification time over RTL by raising the abstraction level for FPGA hardware design. Models developed in C++ are typically verified orders of magnitude faster than RTL.
Intel HLS Compiler is included in the Intel? Quartus? Prime Design Software installation.
HLS Compiler Success Story
Horizon Robotics is partnering with Intel to develop embedded AI applications. Learn how Horizon Robotics is using the Intel? Arria? 10 FPGA and Intel? HLS Compiler to do real-time pixel level segmentation for 3D semantic modelling and localization.
The 19.1 release of Intel? HLS Compiler for Intel? Quartus? Prime Design Software provides various capabilities to enable hardware programmers to use C++ for accelerating their FPGA development process.
- Uses untimed ANSI C++ as the golden design source
- Allows you to quickly explore multiple architectures through high-level directives
- Simplifies tool usage by inferring design intent from high-level constraints
- Supports verification of RTL by comparison with the original C++ source model
- Generates reusable intellectual property (IP) for system integration using the Platform Designer (formerly Qsys)
- Supports inference of streaming, memory mapped, or wire interfaces
- Performs device-specific timing-driven schedule optimization and technology mapping for Intel? FPGAs
- Supports a software compiler use model and industry standards including ac_int data types
System of Tasks
System of Tasks allows for expression of thread level parallelism within an HLS component. Run multiple loops in parallel, share compute blocks, or design an HLS system hierarchically with this feature. To learn more, check out the System of Tasks video how to launch and use the new feature.
Extract the highest performance from your design with v19.1 introduces new pragmas and attributes that provide you with even more control over the performance of your Intel HLS Compiler design. Enhanced reporting features provide further guidance in getting even closer to peak RTL performance of your design. To learn more, check out this new video on the new QoR features.
- The Intel HLS Compiler is included in the Intel? Quartus? Prime Design Software installation and is supported by the Quartus Prime Pro Edition, Quartus Prime Standard Edition, and Quartus Prime Lite Edition
- License required for the Quartus Prime Pro Edition and Quartus Prime Standard Edition
- No extra license needed for the HLS compiler
- In order to use an older version of Quartus Prime Design Software with the latest version of HLS Compiler, upgrade with the new HLS Compiler Upgrade Package, available starting 19.1